Wednesday, June 13, 2007

A picture is worth 1000 words...




Finished up these cards today - just meant putting a frame around them and doing the edge stitching - I used gold metallic thread, so instead of my usual satin stitch, I did a zigzag - I used a metallic needle, which seemed to help (no breakages) but I still didn't want to risk the satin stitch. I think they came out nicely. The funny thing was, when I was cuttign the corners in order to "mitre" the frame, I noticed I had this little pile of gold triangles on my sewing table and thought "hey, triangles" - this immediately joined in my head with what I was thinking I'd do next on my triangle cards, which was to use sheers and stitching in some way, burning away the excess with my soldering iron, so...




Here's one triangle background (the background is a good half inch larger than the card all around, so will be trimmed eventually) - I sprinkled the tiny triangles on top, covered it in organza and stitched some triangles (what else) on it. Later, when I've done them all, I will get out the fine tipped soldering iron and trim around the triangles (I did make sure the tiny triangles were within the area of the stitched triangles). I think I will probably add one or two more things as well, but we'll have to see what it wants. Maybe some stamping, or if I can find any, triangle shaped sequins...


This is the other thing I worked on today - some blue and black bowties for the Scottie Dog quilt - as with the snowballs, I will do a double row of 10. Not sure yet whether I will put these with the same orientation for all the bowties or put some of them the other way, but I'm sure they will look sweet regardless. Then I just have to decide whether or not I need to do anything else above the top Scottie Dog row and below the bottom one - I'll have to measure the top and see how big it is before I make that decision, I think.


And some treats in the post, too - the new Quilting Arts magazine (I was expecting this, as my American friends got theirs recently) and a cute train postcard - this is from the Mixed Media Challenge on Arts in the Mail and is from Diane. She's used a variety of media, including metal washers and, my favourite - wallboard tape (the track). Alex likes this one, too. Not surprisingly!

2 comments:

sewkalico said...

Those bowties are great (and they look like dog bones to me)!

Teodo said...

Nice the postcards with your son.
ciao ciao