Tuesday, June 12, 2007

The Postcard's Progress



A gaggle of miscellaneous unfinished cards - all of these are based on photos printed onto fabric. The two flower ones will be birthday postcards for the birthday group in one of my postcard groups; the mother & baby card (yes, it's me and Alex, now 4+) is for someone I know who's going to have a baby and the seaside scene is actually for a swap theme "picture frame" - I had a hard time finding a picture I wanted to "frame", but ended up with this one - of course, I can't resist messing with it first!
Except for the baby card, which is fairly straightforward, the other cards all feature various alterations to the basic photos - the pink lilies feature organza sewed on top of the flowers, with the extra bits cut away with my soldering iron (I like the definition you get with this technique and will definitely use it again); the yellow irises are stitching and angelina with lumier paint on top (they aren't done yet - not sure what's next, but something) and the seaside card has some sheer fabric across the sky and real sand glued on over part of the sand in the photo. And yes, that's me & Alex, too. No one can say I don't put anything of myself into my art now :)


I also worked on these little nine-patch in a square blocks - they are for the June Block Lotto on the quilting forum at about. I was going to make three pairs, but actually, I don't really have much country fabric, so I was a bit limited. But two will do - having won (some of) the blocks from last month's lotto, I did want to send in some blocks for this month, even if it meant stretching the stash a little.

And to the right, some fishies - an Under the Sea card from Kathy - I think that might be all of them, but not sure, really should check that and see. Anyway, nice fishies - and nice use of beads for the bubbles - thanks Kathy!

And finally, I also got this in the mail, which is the start of a new complex cloth round robin - this one with the dyeing group, not the surface embellishment group, so what I do with it will involve dyeing in some way, rather than anything funkier than that. We are doing a "twins separated at birth" CCRR this time - sending two identical (similar) pieces out to be worked on by different people, and seeing how different they end up when they come home. Luckily, I don't have to work on this piece until July - she's early - so I have time to let it sit and whisper to me about what it wants to have done to it. At the moment, it thinks it wants to be tied up in some way before dyeing (that sentence sounds very odd out of context) but it could change its mind...

1 comment:

Susan Lenz said...

Fabulous postcards. What process did you use to put the images on the fabric? Each seems extremely detailed and very, very rich. Nice job! Thanks for sharing them.
Susan