Monday, April 20, 2009

Monoprinting

The challenge this month on Textile Challenges is to revisit (or visit, if that's the case) mono-printing and make an ATC using some of the results. I decided first to play with my NeoColour crayons again - I drew some squares on a handy piece of plastic, sprayed them with water, then printed onto this previously rust-dyed piece. Below you can see the piece face down, absorbing the colours and on the right, the right side of the piece once printed. I like this sort of muted, water-colour effect - I think it will make some nice backgrounds.



I then decided to try a similar thing, but with acrylic paints - again I used my big square ruler as a surface for printing and just dabbed the paint on more or less randomly. I printed this time onto a darker piece of fabric, and am very pleased with the result, which actually looks even better dried. I think this might form the basis of my ALQS3 - the centre part, at least. It's not big enough to be the whole quilt. We'll see how it goes, but I do have some ideas.

Once I'd printed it, there was still quite a bit of paint left on the ruler, so I added a few more colours, misted it with water and printed it again, this time onto green - obviously the second time round colours didn't print as strongly, but I still think it makes a promising background.
It was a nice thing I got a chance to work this morning, as it looks unlikely for the rest of the week - tomorrow I think I will end up at school all day - there's an open day in the morning which I have been roped in to help with, so there goes my morning. Wednesday I usually go swimming in the morning, and Thursday I need to run into Kingston to pick up a flute - Olivia is going to start learning flute and I need to collect the hired instrument from the shop. Perhaps if I have a little extra time I will treat myself to a visit to the bead shop while I'm there, just to console myself. Of course, Thursday is also the first meeting of the quilting club at school, so I guess there will be a little sewing - or at least some prep work! I'll probably just spend most of my time threading needles...

9 comments:

anne bebbington said...

Expect to be threading needles! Ask me how I know? Love the printing especially the first pastel piece. MAKE TIME to visit the bead shop - you deserve it!

Kathy said...

Those are very nice pieces. The printing process seems too easy. Are you leaving out a few steps? I have lots of acrylic paints and would like to try using them this way. Advice, please.

Mom

Kitty said...

Wow ... love that printing. I think the green background is my favourite. x

bigbucketgirl said...

that printing looks great...i love mono printing with the kids but often find myself doing it long after they've finished! i love doing series of them..changing the olour just a little each time.

Karen said...

Really stunning pieces of work Kate, I've never seen that before, nice.

Julie said...

This is a great idea Kate. It's not always easy to decide what to do with rusted farbic, beautiful as it is but this opens up lots of possibilities. and it's a good excuse to play! ;o)

carrie said...

Nice work :)

Elizabeth said...

Kate!
your monoprints are wonderful. I love the neocolor crayns with the rust- very nice effect. the acrylic on the green and purple are wonderful too. I often like the second printing form a plate better than the first- you get so much mor detail as there is no extra paint to mooooosh around!!
thanks for posting !!
Hugs!
Elizabeth

MargaretR said...

That's a great idea for monoprinting Kate. Thanks, I'm going to have a play.