Friday, April 17, 2009

Blogger's Quilt Festival

Amy at Park City Girl is hosting a virtual festival of quilts - lots of new blogs to suck away all my time inspire me...



And because I haven't got anything new and quilty to show today, I thought I'd share one of my favourite quilts. Now I can't really say this is my absolute favourite because let's face it, that changes depending on what mood you catch me in and/or what day of the week it is, but this is one I like a lot and often have hanging in my family room. At the moment, it's actually not up as something I recently received is hanging and I wanted to give this one a wash anyway - and at Christmas I hang my advent calendar in this spot, but usually, I like to have it where I can see it.
I don't have the best photo in the world of it, so I'll show the top as well before it was quilted, to give a better idea. I think this is one of my favourites not only because of the colours, but because I dyed all the fabric in it myself - the border being one of my first good rubber-band shibori pieces. In fact, the quilt was designed from the border in - I worked out how wide a border I could have using the shibori piece and built the quilt centre from that point using a design based on one in 101 Rotary Cut Quilts - a book I highly recommend for those new to quilting as it's full of fabulous ideas.

18 comments:

Coloradolady said...

Beautiful colors in this quilt. I am amazed at how talented people are who create such wonders.

Tami @ Lemon Tree Tales said...

Fantastic! Brilliant idea to work from your lovely dyed border fabric to the inside.

Janet Brady said...

Hi Kate, I see you discovered the Blogger Quilt Festival too. I have been looking at quilts all day since I posted mine this morning at 10:00. I'm #108. Love the Shibori dyed fabric on the border. I'll have to try that myself some day. You're the first person I've viewed in the show that was already on my watch list. Have fun viewing all the other quilts.

Zonnah said...

I love it!

Rafael's Mum said...

Beautiful quilt Kate ! You are very talented doing the dying yourself. Thanks for the link to the Quilt Festival. I had a look and lovely quilts on there too !

Clare said...

Lovely colours. For some reason reminds me of a peacock's tail.

Jocelyn said...

Wow you are some talented lady. Great quilt!

stitchinpenny said...

Great quilt. Love the tie dyed border.

Tracey said...

I love the border fabric!

Karen said...

Really nice Kate, I've always loved your rubberband shibori.

Quilt Rat said...

Fantastic! oh and I love your banner :-)

Unknown said...

Talk about a time sucker :) I'm glad you've been inspired! I love your quilt - that border fabric is amazing. I've not tried my hand at dying fabric but I can see how it would be lots of fun and using it for quilts - wow! Thank you for sharing!

Terri Stegmiller said...

Your quilt is so unique and intriguing. Glad you shared it in the blogger's quilt festival.

Sand and Sunshine said...

I knew you'd have a beautiful quilt as your favorite, the colors and the fabrics in this one are great. One of the fabric looks like a handdye did you make it?

Sequana said...

Long time, no see....*S* As usual, a lovely quilt you've created.

If you're hunting around, take a look at #70.....

...annie in chicago

Granny Lyn said...

Oh, this is awesome! the colors are absolutely perfect!

Julie said...

Beautiful shibori Kate and lovely colours.

SewCalGal said...

Absolutely beautiful quilt. Great use of colors. Thank you for sharing.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com