Monday, August 20, 2007
Sunprint idea - realised!
Well, I did it. Decided to take my idea of using the sunprint piece as a background for something small but interesting, and went with it (I am trying to be a bit braver and just go for it when I have an idea, instead of analysing it to death and/or putting it aside for when I "am better at X"). First I heavily quilted the sunprint using a pale blue thread, then I added the centre - a black rectangle with a blue rectangle and a face, with some yarn as hair (technically, I planned the centre before I did the quilting of the background, but in terms of actually putting it together...) And there it is! A detail of the quilting is below. I won't say it's perfect, but it works fairly well. Only the binding left, which I'll do later, either black or navy, most likely. I'm very happy with it - now I just have to find a place to hang it (well, I have to add a sleeve, too, so finding a hanging place is not a matter of huge urgency...)
Another thing I did with my little faces today was to take the little inchies I made the other day and frame them on a fabric background - this is just a little cheap Ikea frame and I've wrapped the fabric around the glass, then added the faces on top - I couldn't have used the glass at the front anyway, as they aren't flat. I think it works well; as I'm sending it to a friend, hopefully she will think so, too.
Didn't appear to get any actual post today, but I did have a trip to the sorting office to collect two things they couldn't deliver while I was away at my MIL's - one was this calendar I ordered (I need my next year's calendar by about September - too many things to keep track of, even that far in advance!) - if you want to see the photos of the pieces on the calendar, check out the Quilting Arts website. The other parcel was from Annie, who swapped me for all my spare batik HST units. I'll tell you who got the better of this deal (!) - look at all the lovely lovely things she sent me - funky yarn, lutradur, some flip flops and printed twill tape, an amazing piece of I'm not sure what, printed with bright hearts and other shapes and a huge baggie of different colours of eyelash yarn (I had mentioned I on a list we are both on that I don't buy a lot of colours because it seems extravagent for just postcard edging - she apparently has a huge collection :) and said one of her local shops has some on sale at just $1 per skein - at that price, I'd have a huge collection, too. Even at £1 per skein, frankly! Anyway. Have I gone on and on recently about how much I like bloggers and how generous people are? I'll spare you that whole speil, as I'm sure you've read it before, but can I just say, see what I mean?
For once, I actually planned things well, because I was going to finish off these contrast postcards this morning, using black and white satin stitching, but decided to wait and do them this afternoon after I did my errands (including collecting my parcels). I'm glad I did, as there was this multi-coloured eyelash in Ann's parcel, which was perfect as a card edging. I'm still not completely convinced about these cards, but they are in the post now, and will have to do...
And finally, the other thing I did today was to make a few blocks for the August Block Lotto on about.com - I didn't make anything for July, as I was just way too busy (and it wasn't my favourite kind of quick block, though I would have done some anyway, if it hadn't been July). Anyway, these are Oriental Attic Windows - an oriental print in the centre, with a selftone to one side and black at the bottom. I think they are quite pretty, and whoever wins them will have a very nice quilt....