Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Other things accomplished today...



I is for...Igloo - you saw these in an earlier stage - today I just put the backs on, edged them, and added some snowflakes. I might post them tomorrow, otherwise, not until I get back from Ireland, but they aren't due out until mid-Sept anyway. They were fun - and good machine quilting practice.




And I worked on some complex cloth pieces - these are the before pictures - I have soaked the pieces in soda ash solution, and left them slightly damp as my intention was to screenprint with thickened ProcionMX dyes, and as dyes have more of a tendency to spread than screen print inks, I thought that keeping the fabric damp might help to minimise that.



Here's the photo of the pieces after I've done the screenprinting, before they have been batched, rinsed or dried - I included these because I always find that there's a moment of eek! when you think you have really overwhelmed the fabric, but of course, it's always lighter than this in the finished product - vis a vis:




see, not overpowering at all - just right, in fact. Whew! Both designs were screenprinted with thickened dye, using sticky-back plastic (contact paper) on the screen - the left one is just small squares, strips, rectangles, etc; the one on the right had a couple of motifs cut out from the plastic and then repeated across the fabric. I am pleased with both of them, and will be glad to send them on in the morning to the next person to work on them.

6 comments:

McIrish Annie said...

busy busy girl!! love your creative process. I Need to get some faces!!! and the fabric is FAB!

keep up the good work!

Julie said...

We had a demo of screenprinting at my art group but it still seems like greek to me....These fabrics are lovely.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Looks like you've had a good time. I keep waiting for the right moment to do some more dyeing, but the mood hasn't struck me yet. Maybe in September when the children are at school!

Anonymous said...

Ditto Julie about the dyeing being Greek ;)...I have a screen print kit I bought many, many moons ago....I found it complicated and put it out for a garage sale a few years back. Well, it didn't sell so it is in my closet. I think that I'll get it out and check out what can be done with it, after seeing what lovely fabrics can be designed!

I really like the igloos :)...go figure...snow, snow, snow....ice, ice, ice...

Wil said...

I love the screenprinting you did on my fabric. Can't wait to see it in reality.
Wil

Anonymous said...

Kate,

Very, very nice work. You are very talented on on fabric dyeing!

Excellent!