Friday, June 17, 2011

Domino Blocks


This is a block which I saw on quilting.about.com's newsletter. I used to be fairly active on that site, but my usage has moved away from the types of blocks and swaps they tend to do over there. However, I am still on their mailing list, and once in a while, I do see something I quite like. This block* was in last month's newsletter, or maybe the one before, and despite the sample block used for the pattern, which I thought was in rather dark and uninspiring colours, I could see some potential. So I decided to us some of my fabrics from my medium sized piece stash (stuff which is about a metre) to give it a try.

Here are the fabrics I chose to use:


The block is made of strip pieced units, so it goes together quite quickly.


I didn't manage to use all my fabrics, though - perhaps I'll piece a back for this quilt (when it's ever finished!) from what's leftover.


*A note on the pattern, if you do decide to use it yourself - on page two it tells you you need two each per domino block of all the various units - in the diagram show, the thinner of the bottom two units (which in my block is mainly light blue with a small brown floral square - in the picture showing my units, the second from the right) you actually need FOUR per block, so adjust your cutting as necessary. I'm not sure if the total amounts of fabric listed are right or wrong (because I used larger pieces and cut for a different number of blocks anyway), but certainly you need to make twice as many of this unit as Janet's instructions say.







No comments: