Sunday, June 19, 2011

Cool and warm wonky log cabins


Continuing the trend of putting together all the sets of blocks I have into tops, here are two more sets done and dusted - these were blocks I made in (according to my blog) March 2010, to try to empty my scrapbasket. I made 36 each in cool colours (the blue, green, purple, black and white above)



and warm colours (red, orange, yellow, pink, brown, cream and black - notice black getting into both sets!). The blocks were 9" blocks, I think.

I have a feeling that these blocks were inspired by something we did for the block lotto, but I could be wrong. The plan now, I think, is to quilt them back to back to make a fully reversible piece. Obviously all quilts can be turned over to the back, but some are more interesting than others when that's done. I've not quilted a two-sided quilt before, but I don't plan anything fancy, so it shouldn't be too tricky - the worse part will be lining it up to pin - but luckily, the design of this quilt means that if it's a tiny bit off, I can always trim the edges and no one will notice!

5 comments:

Gail said...

You have been so busy this year! I like everything! The warm/Cool blocks will make such a terrific quilt!

Lynne said...

Very clever indeed.

Clare said...

I love liberated log cabins. This is going to look gorgeous when it's done.

Kathy said...

Interesting quilt(s). I like the idea of it being reversible. However, I couldn't live with either side. I get eye strain and feel dizzy looking at it!

Unknown said...

I love these Kate and what a cool idea - double sided quilt!! I think the colours are spot-on - Brill!