Thursday, April 07, 2011

New cutting mat



the old one is even worse than it looks in the photo. It's got valleys in it, and lots of bits of thread sticking to it... Frankly, it's a wonder I can cut on it at all!



[edited to day - this is actually the better side of the old mat - the other side is even worse and has paint stains on it, too! - and I do change my mats fairly regularly - this new one is at least the 4th or 5th I've owned since I got into quilting and fibre arts on a serious basis...]

7 comments:

shannon said...

that is one VERY luved mat! :) it shall be missed...it dies doing what it loved....

butyaknow- you can cut on the back of the green ones...i cut fleece, batting, and any fabric that has 'fur' on the back (no lines) then i only use the front when i cut cotton for quilting...

just saying :)

Lynn W. said...

I have several mats around the house but none are quite as well loved as your old one. Congrats on acquiring a new one.

Quiltin Jenny said...

Dang! Mine is at least 10 years old and needs replacing, but it still doesn't look like that.

You are clearly getting a lot more done than I am!

Angela said...

You've made me feel better. My mat has recently been gouged and has a couple of cracks in it, and I was really starting to think I must replace it. Now I can see that there is plenty more use in it yet ;-)

greelyrita said...

Could it be that you're letting your blades get too dull before you replace them? I've had my matts for a LONG time and they look new compared to your old one. Yikes.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Wow- you think about replacing rotary blades...but never your mat! I should have a better look at mine. :o)

Anonymous said...

I got a fine grit sanding block from my husband and sanded the top of the old cutting mats I used. It seems to work well. It does take all those fabric bits out but mine weren't quite that bad. Perhaps you could give that a try? Anyone doing as many blocks as you deserves a new one!