Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Sawtooth Stars - and more



It's funny how things work out sometimes, isn't it. I had an itching to do some piecing today, and could have done some block for the birthday block swap, but wasn't really inspired. I was going to suppress the urge, then I remembered it was time for the next block lotto on about.com - and there you go - perfect for what I was looking for. Batiks, which are among my favourite fabrics; sawtooth stars, which are simple and blocks which I am not obliged to do anything with, as they are going into a lotto. I made 8 (they are 8" blocks).







Before I did the stars, I did do some more work on the leaf postcards - finished attaching the skeleton leaves to the fabric & vilene. They will all have a selection of leaf sequins and plastic leaf thingies (that's the technical term) attached as well, but that's handwork, so after doing one as a tester, I set that aside to do tonight watching telly. They are bright, but I like them...



On the right here is a sunflower card (brief moment of panic - did I unwittingly sign up for a sunflower swap?) which is from Myra - it's a sympathy postcard - and if the intent is to cheer, it certainly does. Lovely card, Myra, thanks again.




Another card I received today is this fabulous sunset tree, from Audrey. The sunset cards are really spectacular - I'm enjoying them a lot. It will be hard to see them put away from display when something else arrives. I think quite a few of them will make it into the wallhanging in the living room, at least until Christmas decorations come out - which, despite my giveaway yesterday, won't be until the beginning of December, at least (the advent calendars come out 30th November, other stuff in the week or two following that).

Ran out this afternoon to do some errands, including finding new welly boots for Sarah, who has outgrown last year's (and now that it's October, it's decided to rain constantly, so it's welly-boot season again) and of course ended up in two of my favourite places for stuff - Woolworths (where, admittedly, I did legitimately look for (and buy) wellies) and Tudor Williams' haberdashery department (no real excuse, though I did need a few more eyelets and wondered idly if they sold them).

So, of course I bought stuff. In Woolworths, I found the notebook on the right - not sure you can tell - it's got a rainbow of unlined paper inside, plain black cover. I'm going to embellish the cover for Olivia's birthday, hence the dolphins, which she is very into at the moment. I think I have a dolphin hole-punch somewhere; must try to find that...

At left is what I bought from TW (plus the dolphins) - mostly from the sale bins - some sticky ribbon, an alphabet, some skeleton leaves in various colours, some Christmas paper in "contemporary colours" (i.e. pink, purple and blue) and lo and behold - the eyelets, which they had a quite remarkable selection of. I swear that department is a Tardis - and there's more in there every time I go in. Today there was a new display of embossing powders and a whole second display of Dylon dyes & paints. Danger, danger!


8 comments:

Gail said...

You mentioned Woolworth's. I haven't seen/been to a Woolworth's in years, I don't know if we even have them here anymore. Good memories, though.

Unknown said...

I just love sawtooth stars - I've been hankering after making some for a while - that might just be the thing to wake my enthusiasm again

Kairle Oaks said...

Nice job on your lottery blocks!

I've never done a fabric postcard, but would love to give it a try sometime.

Vicki W said...

I really love sawtooth star blocks and your are really pretty!

sophie said...

Pretty lotto blocks. Love the batiks. I also love the postcards.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous lotto blocks, love the fabrics! The postcards look great too.

zizzybob said...

Bet you didn't think we would notice the new photo of yourself!

Sherry said...

what I wouldn't give to do some goodie shopping like that! and I love the stars, so colorful!