Saturday, October 13, 2007

Black, white & pink





Good news for all us postal junkies - looks like the strikes may be called off as the issues may be resolved - there is definitely progress, so I'm hoping it will be sorted. Hate to miss my daily fix! Got two things today - a postcard from Mary for the J is for... swap - she did jewellery - which doesn't show well on this photo, but she's beaded a necklace, bracelet, earrings and ring - very clever idea. Jewellery was one of the ideas I considered (though what I had in mind was nothing like this) but in the end, the jellyfish won out. Also in the post, a squishie from Barbara, who has recently started her own blog, and sent me this pack of 1" charms as a thank you for answering lots of blog-related questions. Wasn't that sweet? Of course, now I have to do something with them, or I will feel guilty! Wonder if I've got a postcard swap upcoming that they would work for - hmm, maybe I can use some as confetti if I cut them up a bit smaller...






And here's what I did today - or rather, what I did after I made two blocks I really hated for the birthday block swap - was going to do a third in a totally different pattern, but was tired of it by then, so decided to do something different, and this was next on the list. These are for a swap "black and white and one other colour" - I picked pink, as you no doubt guessed. These are courthouse steps blocks in black and white (with pink centres) with free motion flowers quilted on top in pink variegated thread. I'm doing a lot of free motion quilting on small things, for practice. And I'm getting better - which just goes to show that what they say about practice is definitely true... Not that I'll ever be perfect, mind you.


Thought I'd show this, too. I decided I need to file and organise some postcards today - I did have them more or less in boxes by themed swap, but it was too silly that way - one or two cards only in some sections, so I have filed them much more loosely - did one file box (I have these metal boxes I got at Ikea - about 6.5 inches wide, 5 inches high, about a shelf depth deep) with seasonal ones - winter/christmas, autumn, spring& flowers, summer - then the other two with just themes, but broad ones like "blue" or "stripes" or "hearts/valentine's day" - they all seem to fall into some sort of category except one or two. Anyway, decided to fill my display with autumnal colours & themes - started with the ones for actual autumnal swaps, branced out (so to speak) to trees, leaves and then just browns, greens & oranges. Looks very autumnal, don't you think? I'll keep it that way for a while, probably until I change them for the winter/Christmas ones.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

The display quilt is great. I love the idea of theme related AMC display. I don´t have that many AMC yet but maybe I will make a smaller display quilt to show what I have.
The jellyfish cards look gorgeous, much better than in real!
And I think the same about machine quilting: small objects are just right to practice and improve one´s skills. Take care.

Vicky said...

I love being able to click on your pictures to look at them closer. LOVE the black, white and pink - add to the quilt idea file!!! BTW when I click on your postcard hanging it won't come up for closer viewing. Vicky (do I need to type in Vero Beach everytime so you know which Vicky??)

black bear cabin said...

what a great idea to change out the postcard display with the seasons! i knew you had tooooo many to showcase in one spot :) i agree with vicky and would love to see your postcard hanging on a larger scale to see everything a little better ;) The jelly fish look awesome on that dyed blue fabric...nice choice of threads too :)
hope you are having a great weekend!
lisajo

zizzybob said...

Thanks for the plug. How people will comment on my blog too.
Thanks also for the great idea for the postcards. It never occurred to me to display them by color or season. I guess I now have to make a postcard display quilt.