Tuesday, October 30, 2007
Bag, challenge, cards and so on
Well, with the kids back to school today, my primary aim was to sew, sew, sew. And I did. First thing I did was make a bag - I was testing the instructions for a friend, which is a noble aim in itself, but of course I also end up with a bag out of the exercise. I think this one may end up as a Christmas present. I intend to make another one of the same style soon - maybe in a totally scrappy style instead of a single colour.
Then I got to work on the Surface Embellishment challenge I mentioned before - the piece at the right above is my finished journal quilt for this exercise. It's called Imagine it Red. In addition to the two pieces of silk, red lutradur and seashells, which were the supplied bits I was required to use, I have added some polymer clay faces (and a word), gold rayon thread, treasure gold (bronze), gold microbeads and some metallic mist spray - can't remember the brand name, but I like it :)
Also finished sewing the little four patches together, though I didn't photograph them - maybe tomorrow, or the next time there's nothing to show. And I started on a few Christmas cards, which I have decided I'm not going to show. After I get lots of them made (I'm going to make 4 or 5 each in a number of different styles, so I don't get too bored) I might take some arty, teaser type photos. And the actual things will be shown close to Christmas, when most of the recipients have had their cards... (If you want to swap with me - see yesterday's third post.)
Two postcards in the post today - a "K" for my letters swap from Sheila and a gorgeous leaf, which doesn't really show that well in this photo, from Melinda. The leaf is printed on fabric, then a layer of sheer fabric added over the top, and the gold stitching picks up some of the leaf veining with other bits simply showing through. Do click on the closeup of this card - it's well worth it.