Wednesday, April 11, 2007

All together now

Today Sarah and I joined the log cabin blocks - once again, she did all the stitching, but I helped with making sure they were in the right order and pinning them together. I think it looks really spectacular - the next step is to add the border, which is a fabric she chose at Farnham Maltings - it's mainly purple, with butterflies in it. I think it will suit well. We are going to put a 6" border on. My natural inclination for log cabins (and indeed, most quilts these days) is mitred corners, but I think that's a bit much to ask of a nine-year old, so we won't be doing it that way. Maybe in a few quilts' time...




I also finished sewing together the four patch and double four patch blocks into this top, which I really love - it looks even better than I thought it would. However, it needs a border. I will have to thinka bout what type of border it needs. Unfortunately, at the moment, it seems to be telling me it needs one of those borders where a few of the blocks extend out into the border, so they appear to float, if you know what I mean.



And here are some more Jacob's Ladder blocks which I finished - three yesterday, actually, but I didn't get a chance to photograph them then. That's two sets of six done, and I really like the look of them - the colours are more varied in person, but I took this photo inside, so it doesn't show too well. Now I have to cut out some more pieces before I can move on to the rest of the blocks. And Teresa is sending me some more batiks, so perhaps I should wait until I get them...

2 comments:

Helen in the UK said...

Your daugther's quilt and I think a purple border will be fab. Also love the 4 patch - simple block, great design :)

Helen in the UK said...

Meant to say "love your daugther's quilt" - brain is not communicating with fingers!!