Friday, July 06, 2007

For Peggy, and others who want to try postcards...

Peggy, thanks for your comment - I have no email address for you (your comment comes anonymously) so I apologise for answering you in public like this - but then again, there may be others out there interested in what you asked, which is how to get started making postcards & find groups to swap with. I swap with a number of different groups, some of which are closed, but some of which are public groups - the main three of these public ones are FiberPC, ArtsintheMail and Fiber Artist International (of which I am currently acting as moderator) - they are all yahoo groups and easy to join. I have also recently joined a group called ArtWeMail, but I haven't actually completed a swap with them yet - I'm sure it will be fine, but just haven't been there long - it's a new group. There are others out there, too; I'm sure a search on yahoo for fabric postcards would bring up more. If you are new to postcards and/or not that interested in making lots of cards in a single swap, at least to start, I'd probably recommend ArtsintheMail or FAI as good places to start - FiberPC tends to have larger swaps, often of 10 cards, whereas the others usually have 5 max, sometimes fewer.

In terms of how to actually physically make postcards, there are tons of sites with references for techniques - a google search of "fabric postcards" is probably the best place to start. Essentially, you can do almost anything you like, so long as you have a stiffener of some kind in your card (Peltex and Timtex are commonly used) and finish the edges in some manner. But in terms of what goes on the front of the card, well, you've seen some of my collection - I think it's safe to say that anything goes...

Oh, and if anyone wants to talk to me off the blog about this, leave a comment including your email address or email me at katelnorth at yahoo dot com.

No comments: