Sunday, November 13, 2011

More scrapbusting



Today, what I felt like doing was some fairly mindless piecing (I am a big fan of piecing - of all the parts of the quilt making process, it's the bit that relaxes me the most. I like other parts, too, but they take more effort, concentration, brainpower, what-have-you - simple piecing I just find really relaxing. This is why I do so much of it and end up with so many tops). So I decided to see if I could whittle down my drawer of blue scraps even further by making some double four patches, using 2.5" squares and 4.5" squares. I found a bit of browny-neutral fabric which I've had for years - it was given to me - which I thought would be good for the non-blue blocks, and away I went. I've cut enough fabric for 50 of these blocks (which finish at 8") - that will make two baby quilts for various charities. And, more to the point, it did make a serious dent in my blue scraps - look:


This was full to the top before I started cutting! Of course, it's nearly time to clean out the scrapbasket again, whereupon lots more scraps will be added to this little drawer, but at least there's space for them now...

2 comments:

Lynne said...

Your blocks look lovely. I have enjoyed the string blocks and (especially) the improv piecing. The square on square blocks require a bit more concentration and I find matching points on four and nine patches requires even more! But I'll get there! 23 blocks completed so far for my SRC; I have a year's worth of catching up to do!

Lynda said...

There are few things more satisfying than getting something for nothing! And making a scrap quilt feels like that! I'm definitely with you on the therapeutic qualities of piecing - it's the best relaxation technique ever!