Saturday, July 03, 2010

Linus & Robin



Not some odd new crime-fighting duo, but the first block for my own Stay at Home Robin - this block is free-pieced using a technique similar to the one used for the Block Lotto in May (reed blocks - lime green on black), except that I didn't use bias strips, just cut the fabric as it came, and as I felt like it... I figured a batik & black quilt would work well, as all batiks go together anyway, and they all go with black! I am debating doing a second one at the same time as the girls have been asking me for a quilt for their wall (a small one - there are lots of quilts they could have, but none really fit the space) - that would be chocolate brown, turquoise blue & silver (or grey), which might be fun to do as well. Will have to see what I have in the way of fabric...




And here's a little quilt top for Project Linus at some point - the border fabric is actually apple green with baskets of apples on it, so you can tell it has really washed out in the photo. I think three of the four fabrics in this quilt are ones my mother has given me - possibly all four. The apple fabric I know came from when her local JoAnn's (she lives in the US) closed down and liquidated its stock. The two cat themed FQs (red and blue) just seem like something she might have passed along...

4 comments:

sophie said...

What a great start for your stay-at-home robin. I love that block! (big surprise, huh?)

I plan to play along, but will start a little late–after I am settled into my new place–and have to play catch-up.

Gene Black said...

That looks great. I haven't started mine yet so now I will be influenced by yours. Ha ha.

Janet said...

My first block is finished. Can you tell I'm excited about this project?

Anonymous said...

I too am planning to work along - also put a link on the Chris&Barbara blog (can I grab the RR button, is that appropriate?). Might have to do 2 versions because I can't decide which block to start with!