Monday, October 13, 2008

Stars, Crosses, Goals




Despite a busy morning (well, I have a yoga class - so not unusually busy, just out of the house) I did manage to get some work done today - got 6 star ornaments made for a swap over on Creative Swaps - even got them in the post, too. One more thing to tick off the list. It's beginning to be a little less scary - only a few more October things to finish. Of course, there's a week of holiday coming up at the end of October, so it might be best to get as many finished before then as possible!

Anyway, the ornaments. I used two pieces of hand-dyed fabric - the one you see is actually quite a purply blue, but that colour doesn't photograph well. On the back is a more red purple. Fused them to a rectangle of vilene, then quilted the whole piece before cutting stars out (traced around a cookie cutter). I then satin stitched the edges, and added grommets, faces and danglies. The stars are about 3 inches across or so.

I said yesterday I'd do the cross-stitch update and goals list today when I had fewer pictures - so here they are. I decided to start the central panel of the cross-stitch rather than work on any more boxes this week. It's coming along nicely. Obviously the word "America" is there, and then there are two robins on a nest below it. Probably take another 2 weeks or so to finish that bit, especially as I have some other hand work to do this week. I'm keeping an eye on the time, as I would like to work on my Christmas cross-stitch projects for a while around Christmas, so it's possible I will set this one aside for a few months while I do those - I'm not really in the mood for the Christmas ones for a lot of the year, so they tend not to get worked on, even when I'm really in a cross-stitch mood otherwise. But come November or so, I will feel like doing Christmassy things - at least some of the time!



And finally, the goals list. I think I mentioned last week that I might go to the Knit and Stitch Show - obviously, I didn't. In the end, I decided that I really just needed the time at home on Sunday to sew, so I did that. Maybe next time... Anyway, a review of the week's aims:

  • journal quilt for the week (deadline 11/10) - done.
  • start October birthday block - yes, all ready for the hand sewing bits, which I have started tonight, actually.
  • work on Angela's quilt - nothing further done with this this week - just didn't have a day I could work on quilting the border. Maybe this week!
  • set of postcards - "starts with V" (deadline 15/10) - done and mailed.

So, this week:

  • journal quilt for the week (deadline 18/10)
  • set of star ornaments (deadline received by 1/11 in the US)
  • finish October birthday block
  • start ALQS2
  • work on Angela's quilt

I know, I already have one of those things accomplished, but I promise I had intended to put it on my goals list before today - in fact, I worked on it today because I knew it was on the list!

8 comments:

Vicki W said...

I love your star ornaments!

jovaliquilts said...

Those are terrific ornaments!
What a clever way to make them. I have bunches of holiday cookie cutters, I may make that a December project.

Lenna Andrews said...

I love your fabric stars Kate, and cannot wait to see them in person for the swap!

Genie said...

Lovely ornaments Kate

Karol-Ann said...

Gorgeous ornaments!

artisbliss said...

Those stars are great.

Kate said...

Stars are really cute Kate.

Tracey said...

What a great idea, love the stars,
Take care