Saturday, March 10, 2007

Thursday's blog

A bit behind the times! But I did get a lot of work done Thursday - firstly, finished the IWD postcards so I could get them in the post in time. And one of the extras is going off in the post to Angela, who particularly admired them. (I have a few more, so if anyone likes them and wants to swap, leave me a comment!) As all that was left to do was the satin stitching around the edges, it didn't take too long.

Next, I made two more ball and chain blocks for the batik and black swap:





These are coming along slowly but surely - as I said before, I decided I don't really like making this block, but at least the finished product looks ok. The seam allowance for the edges of the "balls" looks a bit funny, but once they are sewn to something, they will improve, I'm sure.

And I started making a piece of frayed fabric for another postcard swap (theme: frayed fabric, obviously). I sewed a number of layers of fabric together and stitched varying widths apart from 1/4 inch to about an inch, then sliced through all the layers but the bottom, as you would making chenille, for instance. I used the colourshott fabrics, as I know they have a natural tendency to fray anyway - then the piece will go through the washer and dryer and hopefully come out very frayed - (it did - picture to follow). Then I will cut it into shapes or something and make postcards from it. Not sure quite what I'm going to do yet - something abstracts, no doubt.

No comments: