Monday, January 15, 2018

Revisiting my Journal Quilts, week 9



(Journal Quilt no 9 completed on 16 January 2008)

This week's journal quilt also serves the purpose of being an exercise for the class with Laura Cater-Woods I mentioned with the week 8 quilt. One of the assignments was to take the image we worked with last week and develop it in a new way - either by changing colours, media, making it 3-D, or a variety of other options. So I decided to play with the tree using different media - in the end, this had the result of also changing the colour and making it somewhat 3-D. Originally, I had thought to use some yarns couched down to form the shape of the tree trunk and branches - when I had a peep in my yarn drawer I found something better - silk super crunchies, which I bought from the Thread Studio at the Knit and Stitch show. I don't really know how to describe these - they are hard (crunchy) fibrous stands of silk, hand-dyed, in this instance in lovely autumnal colours. They couched down nicely into a tree shape, and the build up is quite nice - very tree-trunk like. The background of the piece is a piece of discharged fabric from my recent discharge swap, and the buttons just add some colour and movement. I am claiming artistic licence to allow for the fact that they are all from different species of tree...

No comments: