Wednesday, March 19, 2008

One Hawaiian Down...



several more to go! But I am pleased to be done quilting this one - not that it took that long to do, really, so I shouldn't complain. I have to put some binding on, of course - I think that might be next week's job. Along with pinning together another one to start quilting it. As promised, here's a photo of one of the sailboats - it's not the best shaped sailboat, but it's on very light fabric, so is highly visible. Most of them, I tried to get the sails a little larger in relation to the boat. I did have one minor hiccough where the tension decided to go do-lally for no particular reason (i.e. wasn't at a bobbin change, etc) but I did catch it before I'd sewed too much, and of course, when the tension goes odd, it's often easy to unpick as one of the threads is just lying there with big loops around it...





Once I'd finished the quilting, I did debate making binding, but decided against it, and instead decided to mess with my glue gun for the challenge on textile challenges. So, here are some shapes I made with the hot glue gun, which I then painted. Next step is to stitch them on to something - I have a set of cards coming up for BQLPC with the theme fastenings - I think I might use these - after all, glue is a fastening, right? Might throw some buttons on for good measure, too...


And I got lots of lovely things in the post today - first, a small care package from Karol-Ann, who is still in South Africa, but coming back soon. There is a larger one in transit, apparently, but it was sent by surface (whereas this one went via courier (i.e. a mother-in-law) back to England and then into the post) and so still hasn't got here... Anyway, the lovely parcel contained lots of goodies, not least of which some strapping for bag handles, some feathers actually gathered in situ, fluff, and of course, fabric! I think these African fabrics want to be a bag. We'll see.


And also, a Fiberarts magazine, and a card for the fastenings swap I mentioned - this one is zips, and cleverly unzipped to reveal the little charm pictured below it. DD1 is fascinated with this card, and I think I might well lose it to her if I'm not careful...


4 comments:

black bear cabin said...

Love those fabrics from Africa...beautiful! The Hawaiin shirt quilt is really cool, now that its all sewn together and quilted...which family member is this one for (or is this one yours :)
i tend to do stuff for myself last, which would explain my large UFO pile!
Keep quilting!
lisajo

Vicki W said...

You get all of the best mail! Congrats on finishing the quilting on your quilt so quickly! It looks great!

Helen in the UK said...

You are making great progress on those Hawaiian quilts. I didn't realise until I read further back that it is single bed sized, so no wonder you are stuggling with the quilting. Love those sailboats :)

Unknown said...

Congratulation to a finished quilted hawaii quilt. I like very much the idea of the sailboats and the palmtrees! The fabrics from Africa are beautiful. I wonder what you will come up with to use them. Happy Easter and take care.