Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Let the quilting begin



Today I decided to start quilting the Hawaiian quilt - I brought my machine down to the dining room table, which worked very well, partly because there was more room to spread it out and I could drape parts of it over chairs, etc to help take them weight, but also because when my shoulders tensed or arms ached after 10-15 minutes of quilting, I could easily take a short break, check 2 or 3 emails and then go back to quilting. Definitely I will use this strategy again. Basically, I'm doing a meander with some wave shapes and the occasional palm tree or sailboat thrown in (didn't photo a sailboat - will do that next time). I quilted about 1/3 of the quilt, so progress is definitely being made. Hoorah.



And in the post today, along with some more glue sticks for my glue gun (so I can experiment with that tomorrow, I hope) and my new debit card (my old one was cloned and being attempted to be used in Sri Lanka - no money out of my account, but a week without a debit card sure shows you how much you use it!) was a squishie from tirane93 - when she won the shoe giveaway a few weeks ago she asked for my address so she could send me a little something in return - I don't expect anything in return, of course, but at the same time, I'm always happy to have things sent to me... and look at the goodies here - a whole selection of black and white fabrics (hands off, Wil, they are mine!) and a fun piece of Southwestern fabric "just for fun". Aren't quilty bloggers nice people?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Try putting your ironing board to your left hand side set at the same level as the table to help with the weight when you're quilting a big quilt (the fabric's weight not your own!) - I found it absolutely invaluable when I did my huge Ostrich

Anonymous said...

Love the palm tree in the quilting!

Lynda said...

I know that nachine quilting is much quicker than hand, but sometimes it doen't feel like it! I suppose it's because you have to concetrate harder on the machine, so can't watch the tv or do something else at the same time.

Wil said...

LOL!! I don't have the one with the wavy lines (yet).