Saturday, August 08, 2009

Quilting & pinning



Well, I did actually manage to do some work today - I quilted the little rainbow piece, to start with. I used the clamshell pattern which I used on the corn and beans quilt, which I really like. It's very time-consuming, so it's a good one to use on a small piece rather than a larger one. I chose to use a brightly variegated thread as I couldn't think what else to do - nothing really matches (or everything does, depending on how you look at it). I will bind the mini in the sky blue fabric (it's actually sky fabric - has clouds on it) to make it seem even more like a rainbow in the sky.



And I also managed to get this quilt pinned together, ready for quilting. Not totally sure what colour I will quilt it in (leaning towards purple) and what pattern (no idea), but I'm sure I will come up with something. Don't think I will work on it tomorrow as I feel like doing something else, but you never know. I kind of fancy piecing or maybe some mixed-media stuff - and I should start by attaching binding to the rainbow mini. Nice to be back sewing - I missed it - not so much on holiday in Scotland, as that's different anyway, but during the last few weeks' of school I was so busy I didn't get much done at all, and was left feeling a bit at a loose end.

8 comments:

rho said...

Beautiful!

Melissa ;-) said...

I love that second quilt. It is very inspiring to me as I love to quilt, but I am not a fan of the more traditional look and your choice of fabrics turned that traditional block into something very modern! Thanks for the example!

Gina said...

Love the quilts. I adore the border fabric on the second one.

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Ruth's Place said...

Gorgeous! Did you dye the fabric in the border of the second quilt?

Vicki W said...

Cute quilts! I love the border fabric on the second one.

ladybelle said...

Beautiful. I wish I could put colors together like you do.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tazzie said...

Your quilting is just gorgeous Kate, and I love the colours!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)