Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Let the good times roller



Today I actually did a little dye work in addition to sewing - I have a roller painting technique swap due for my dyeing group at the end of February and I wanted to give it a go. On the whole, I think it went ok - my main problem was that I ended up not really liking one of the dyes I chose to use (Jacquard Bronze, which frankly, is more brown and less golden than I imagined it would be). But that's ok, at least I had a stab at the technique. I tried rollering with regular dye (ick) and print paste with dye powder added (much better), and with the roller taped, with shapes snipped into it, rubber bands on it and using texture plates (not all at once). The photos show an example using a texture plate, with two colour of dye added. The finished piece looks very similar, except the blue is less strong. In all, a reasonable success. Not a technique I would use for large quantities of fabric, but might be nice as a step in a complex cloth, or to make a background for a small journal quilt or art quilt...




The other thing I worked on was the snowflake postcards - I wanted to do something with them to add a little texture, etc, so I decided to layer a piece of sheer fabric over the snowflake and quilt a simple 6 pointed star in them to echo the snowflake's symmetry. After that, i decided that they looked a bit like flowers, so I have emphasised this by adding another piece of sheer in the centre, like in a flower. At this point, I want to add beads. I'm not sure quite what I'm going to do, but they definitely want beads of some sort. To be continued...

2 comments:

Joyce said...

I really like the fabric in the photo on the right. I hope you show us a picture of it when it is all finished.

Joyce said...

I really like the fabric in the photo on the right. I hope you show us a picture of it when it is all finished.