Saturday, September 16, 2006

Better late than never...


I have a quilt top I put together with blocks from a block swap, which is going to be a wedding present for my friend Michael - those who know me well won't be surprised he's coming up to his 1 year anniversary, but besides the fact that he lives in the US and therefore I haven't seen him in a few years, I often don't get quilts to people until after they've been married a while. It's not just a time thing, it's partly that I think you are so overwhelmed when you get married, it's nice to get something a little later - and if I am going to see someone in person 6 months or a year after their wedding, I'd rather wait until then to gift a quilt and be able to do it in person. A baby quilt is a different story - you want that straight away, so the baby can use it! But hopefully, a marriage lasts long enough that having a quilt as an anniversary present won't matter. Anyway. That's my theory of wedding quilts - more than you wanted to know, I'm sure. Once in a while, I have something waiting which is suitable, but for people I know well, I like to come up with something just for them...

Anyway. About this top - I put it together ages ago, and it looks like I might finally quilt it. Lana is going to help me use the Circle Lord on the longarm machine to do different kinds of circles, spirals etc in each of the star blocks. Not sure what I'm going to do with the rest of it. Hopefully I will get to play with it on Tuesday, but I decided that I really ought to seam the backing together if there was a chance I might work on the quilt... So I did that today.

Also pinned together Cathi's string pieced housewarming quilt (they have officially moved now) so I can begin tying it tonight while watching telly. Hopefully I will be able to get that posted off to them in the new house next week or so. Hoorah. Otherwise, just a few blocks from ongoing things, nothing too interesting. Tomorrow I might put that seashell border on the neutral top. We'll see...

No comments: