Sunday, January 02, 2011
State of the Scrap Basket
It's not empty. But that's it - these have both come from another scrap-busting project I worked on today - the crumb scrap blocks are done - I ended up with 120 or so of the 4.5" blocks in the end. Not sure quite what I will do with them yet, but something.
This year, I am planning to follow along with the soscrappy blog and try to do some more scrap reduction - the basket may be emtpy, but there is still that box of strips, plus the small basket of larger pieces I showed the other day, plus a number of little drawers of squares ranging from 3" to 5" in size.
She is doing her scrap reduction in monthly colour themes, January being blue. One idea she proposed yesterday was to make nine patch blocks from 2" blue squares, and alternate them with 5" snowball blocks (blue corners on a white background). The 2" blue squares weren't a problem (I don't save 2" squares separately, but I do save 4" squares...)
However, I haven't got a lot of white squares in my 5" scrap collection, and while I could have simply cut some WOW into 5" squares, I decided to have a quick look elsewhere in stash and see if there was something else which would serve. And I found this - I think someone gave it to me, as I can't imagine buying it - it's not really my taste, but more than that, it's a bit thicker and obviously a little older than most modern quilting fabrics. Probably not vintage, though. I thought this would make excellent snowball backgrounds, and of course, it has the advantage of being used for a project when it might otherwise just sit in stash.
I was able to cut 24, 5" squares from the floral print. Perfect - I would make 24 nine patch blocks to go with, and alternate them.
And several hours later:
Tomorrow, perhaps I will sew the two stacks together!