Thursday, August 01, 2013

Skirt, part II


Today, we made the waistband, lock-stitched the edges of the skirt so the inside seams wouldn't fray, ran the gathering stitches along the top edges of front and back of the skirt


and actually pulled the gathers in for the front of the skirt and stitched the waistband on (shown folded over here, so it looks finished).  


Tomorrow, we will gather and add the waistband to the back for certain, and possibly more - I think we're having a quiet day at home, so there should be plenty of time to sew, and it's an easy skirt to make.  I am only doing a little of the work, mainly just demonstrating (so, for instance, I zigzagged one of the four edges, and sewed half of the first gathering stitch row) - Olivia is doing most of it.  It's quite slow going for a garment this easy, but that's because I'm making her read each step first and then making sure she understands what it's telling her to do - hopefully this will stand her in good stead in future if she wants to make something else!  I've already spotted a piece of fabric in the stash that my mother is getting rid of which I think would make a cute skirt if this one works out...

6 comments:

black bear cabin said...

how fun...i love sharing the craft with young ones! jordyn loves hand sewing, but i think shes ready to start using the machine :)

Vicki W said...

That's going to be a really pretty skirt.

Dolores said...

It would be wonderful if your daughter enjoyed it so much that she wanted to carry on. I wish my daughters would sew. They know how but they just don't do it. I have, however, made them the odd garment now that they have become adults.

Needled Mom said...

It looks like she is doing a great job on it too! I can't wait to see her finish.

Lyndsey said...

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished skirt. It was great fun teaching my two daughters to make skirts and dresses.

Unknown said...

It is looking great! Good way to teach sewing...got understand the directions if you ever design and then need to write them!