Monday, May 30, 2011

Scrap system, revisited


Well, I finally feel I am making a dent in my scraps. In honour of this (and because it better suits the way I work these days) I am scrapping (ha ha) my old system of filing scraps by cutting into squares and saving in sizes, and going with a simpler, colour based method. I will still have a box of strips, of course. And then a basket of larger size scraps, as I mentioned a few days ago, but now the main scraps (other than the basket of yet-to-be-sorted ones) will be by colour - you can see them neatly piled on my sewing table. These range from about 2.5" square to 5" square (though they are not all squares) - 5" square is the largest that will fit in my little storage drawers:


So, anything larger than 5" square will go in the basket of larger scraps:


Which is now barely full at all - it was nearly full a few months ago. Woo hoo! As for the scrap drawers, most of them aren't anywhere near full, except the blue (why is it always blue?) which is nearly up to the top - I can squeeze a few more in, but there will definitely have to be some blue busting in the relatively near future. Also, I imagine when I tackle the scrap basket next (the wicker one) there will be some more scraps for these drawers - only the really small, oddly shaped ones stay in the basket...



There was other work done today as well - there was some progress on putting together another set of blocks, and some more blocks for charity tops made, very instrumental in scrap busting! But all in good time - I'll need things to show later in the week when I have no sewing time...

3 comments:

Lynne said...

An organised system certainly makes crafting easier. I just love my new "studio" - it makes me want to craft.

Kathy said...

I have a lot of fabric that I will probably never use. I'd be glad to bring some with me in August, in order to help fill your scrap box! Ok, just kidding, although I will probably bring some of the nicer pieces to you. I really think I'll never attempt another quilt.

Clare said...

You are certainly getting yourself organised. I really need to get up there and do some sorting.

Love those draws!