Thursday, May 09, 2013

Low volume hearts


One of the many tops (or rather, two) that I put together over the weekend are these low-volume hearts. I decided to make them into two baby quilt tops as I thought they really suited the baby quilt idea...  So, here's one top with 16 hearts - this one will get made up fairly soon and donated to our local library's Friends group to help raise money for the library organisation - they are having a fair in July and I have offered a baby quilt for the raffle.


And this one, made from 20 hearts, will go into my personal stash for when I next need a neutral baby quilt. Although looking at the photo, I'm finding the balance a little off - the right hand side is all very light blocks, so I might shift a block or two around.  Or not, depending on how much time I have!


I was left with three blocks - one is one I made myself, which had the same background as two others I made, so I didn't feel bad leaving it out. One is a free, extra "wrong" block one of the players sent me along with her correct blocks - the strips point outward instead of inwards. The third one, there is really nothing much wrong with - it is a tiny bit out on size in the upper right corner (but well within the margin of error) and had a similar background colour to a number of other blocks - and I needed to lose one more block, so it came out. These three will go in my orphans bag, and will either languish there until I use them for something, or, more likely, go with other orphans to a friend who has a quilt ministry and often can use spare blocks.

8 comments:

Needled Mom said...

Your low volume hearts were my inspiration to my low volume quilt. Gorgeous!

Sarah Craig said...

Beautiful little tops, Kate! I love the idea of low volume - and have a stash set aside for when I get to try it myself!

Kathy S. said...

I always love seeing what you do with the Block Lotto winnings! Always doing something for the good. I see my blocks in there. Whee!

greelyrita said...

It always surprises me that things look so different once they're photographed. To really see something, you have to look at it in all different ways.

FaithEllen said...

What does "low volume" mean in a quilt context?

Kate North said...

FaithEllen, you are set to no-reply so I can't answer your comment - I hope you are following along here! Low volume in quilting basically means using fabrics which are subtle and delicate in colour and design - the block lotto for which I made the blocks originally has a good paragraph about doing low volume blocks: http://www.blocklotto.com/2013/02/low-volume-love-in-february/

Lynne said...

So pretty!

MulticoloredPieces said...

Hi, Kate. I enjoyed seeing your heart quilts. You're right, this design makes a lovely baby quilt without being too "baby". Your cross stitch in the previous post is beautiful as well.
best from Tunisia,
nadia