Sunday, October 07, 2007

Quilting, quilting, quilting - and a winner!

Did lots of work today - most of it quilting (though I did cut some pieces while talking to my mother on the phone). First, I finished quilting this baby quilt, and have attached the binding so I can sew it down. When I last saw the recipient, she had not yet had the baby, but there was always the weekend. Anyway, close enough! I didn't do anything fancy on this, just random lines crossing the quilt - was going to do diagonals across the blocks, but I thought that might be weird with the crazy nine-patches, so I just sewed a line for a while, then turned and sewed in another direction. It was kind of fun, actually.

So then I dropped the feeddogs and did FMQ on this (though actually, it occurs to me that while I changed the foot to the darning foot, I think I forgot to actually drop the feeddogs - can't say it made any difference, frankly, if anything, it might have worked better) - oh and what do you guys think, is it REALLY lazy of me to wish I had space enough to have a second machine which always had the feeddogs dropped and the hopping foot (or whatever) on it, so I didn't have to change back and forth when piecing/quilting? :)




Anyway, this is going really well - I quilted the black background quite densely, with a kind of sun meander. Each of the squares will have a little doodad like this one in the pink square in it, though there will be clay faces on top of them, so the centres won't show, only the edges. I've done the yellow diamonds with a kind of flame. The large pink parts in the centre will also have a similar meander to what's in the black. And not sure yet about the blue star points and the small outer pink triangles, but we'll see when I get to them. Had to stop because my wrists were beginning to ache, but I did more than I thought I could. I am finding it fairly slippery work, though, so I must look into either a hoop or grippy things or something - tried just using rubber washing up gloves, which works surprisingly well, though they make my hands hot. Anyone have a favourite tool for gripping the top surface of a quilt when doing FMQ?

OK, finally, the moment you are all waiting for. The Christmas blocks were pretty popular, but I am pleased to say that the lucky winner was commentor no 11 - otherwise known as Di. Di, send me your address and (when the postal strike decides to finish) I will put the blocks in the post for you.

Tomorrow (providing I remember what day of the week it is, of course) there will be a new giveaway - something a little different this time, but still fairly popular, I hope!

7 comments:

Vicki W said...

Wow! You've done a lot this weekend. Love the finished quilt and your FMQ on the other one is really nice. For traction while quilting I like Lickety Grip (I think that's what it's called) it's clear stuff that you rub on your hands. I also saw someone recently using squares of rubber shelf liner and that looks like a great idea. I used to use the gloves and they work great but they are way too hot.

Quilting Pirate said...

Congrats to Di!!

As for the quilty stuff..wow!! :D I love the baby quilt soo bright and not "traditional". I've never been traditional! :D

What a productive weekend!

Anonymous said...

I have the cotton gloves with grippers. Made by some quilt designer - I forget the name. But not the Meschenger ones. I could not quilt without them.

Btw....I never drop my feeddogs, and I can FMQ just fine.

Di said...

Wow, thank you Kate. I promise I will put them together before Christmas!!!!!

Anne Wigfull said...

Lovely stuff, Kate! I stopped using the dotted gardening gloves because I had to remove them to handle threads etc. Now I use two squares of shelf liner and occasionally, to give my hands a change of position, Neutrogena Norwegian formula hand cream.

atet said...

As always, your productivity amazes me. Sorry about the postal strike (I know you have to be going a bit insane with that one :0) ).

As for the machine quilting question, I have a pair of cotton gloves whose tips have been coated in plastic that grips. I even use them when doing work with my walking foot -- with larger pieces they are invaluable. They're called "Machingers" and for me the best part is they come in size extra small. Despite other parts of me being, um, not tiny -- my hands are small. (which is making finding a #&&#@)* thimble a bit of a challenge)

Sherry said...

Hi for the quilting gloves check out http://pinkchalkstudio.com/blog/ she's blogging on the very thing--some commenters provide good tips too. Also she is a great crafts blog!