Friday, October 12, 2007

Jellyfishies and squishies



Been throwing around lots of ideas for the Something starting with J cards which are due out on Monday - but kept coming back (in my mind) to a jellyfish card I receievd in the Under the Sea swap on FiberPC, so I gave in and decided to do my own version of the jellyfish. I've used a hand-dyed fabric background (pretty sure this one was from a swap rather than one I did myself), sheer fabric (in two layers) for the body of the fish, and various threads, loose and FMQ'd for the tentacles. And some of the lovely eyelash yarn I was sent (I think this one came from Annie) for the edging to give a kind of sea/seaweed feel.




And the post finally seems to be catching up - today I got three postcards - the above two, which are from Rosyln in Australia for the black & white and one other colour swap and from Dee for the Mixed Media challenge some time ago (June?) on Arts in the Mail (she posted the card very late for personal reasons - the post hasn't been THAT bad).

And the card on the left below is from JoAnn in Alaska for the recycle swap, and uses an old bread mix bag - not sure if she used the actual bag or transferred the image, but either way, a nice card.




The other item above right is a squishie from Cathi in Ireland - a comfort squishie from when my Dad died - people are so nice, aren't they? Of course, I've known Cathi a long time, so I knew she was nice already, this just reinforces that... Anyway, she sent some silk ribbon, some eyebrow yarn (it's not quite as delicate as eyelash yarn) so other fun yarn, three colours of fimo for making faces, and a pattern I wanted from her. Great squishie! She also sent along the first block for our Purple Dear Jane exchange - we are doing 6" blocks, making two of each and sending one and keeping one. So now it will be my turn. She's probably going to pick all the hard ones with curved piecing as she'll hand piece them; mine will probably all be machine pieced, so will have mostly straight lines - though I won't shy away from ones with tons of tiny pieces...

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad they made it! Yup...will probably do curved piecing and applique blocks for mine!

Like the jellyfish cards and the cool graphics for the bread mix card

sewkalico said...

Those jelly fish cards are awesome. Great to get mail again, isn't it? I got your lovely African block today - thank you very much!! Go to my blog and choose your next one :O)

Julie said...

The jellyfish cards are great Kate, I really like the way you have done them.

Dy said...

Wow, I love your jellyfish! And the background fabric is just perfect with them.

Mrs Moog said...

Hi Kate
Thanks for popping by my blog. I think I'll be doing some enforced activities with my two at half term too - the visit to see the Terracotta Army sounds great.
You were very restrained at Knit & Stitch. I went to the NEC one and also spent ages stroking yarn!
I had a chat with Maggie Grey too - she is such a lovely lady and our chat resulted in my aunt and I ordering an embellishing machine each!
I love your work by the way. Those jelly fish are beautiful.
Have a great weekend,
Lesley x

Unknown said...

my youngest was just looking over my shoulder when I popped your blog up this morning - the jellyfish really wowed her! (and me - they're lovely)

Angela said...

The Jellyfish cards are just beautiful Kate! And wow look at all those yummies that you received in the post too!

Dianne said...

Those Jellyfish are great!!!

verobirdie said...

The jelly fishes are pretty nice. Everything is perfect.

black bear cabin said...

Love the Jellyfish :)

Dindrane said...

Those are gorgeous jellyfish! I have a thing for jellyfish, and I'm so glad that you found them artful, too! (ok, maybe I'm weird...)