Sunday, January 12, 2014

Fabric in...


Well, it's that time of year again - Farnham Maltings Quilt Show and Fabric Sale. Often I head down with a list of quilt tops which need backs, but this year, I don't have as many large tops hanging around with no allocated backing fabric - and the few I do have have a lot of batik and hand-dyed fabrics in them, so finding a matching back is a little harder. 

So I went with a different main goal - to pick up a metre or two of inexpensive fabrics which would make good borders or feature fabrics to use with a lot of the scrap quilts I make for charity (and myself in some cases).  I don't mind using the better part of a metre of fabric on a charity quilt border, if that fabric has only cost £3/metre...  The fabrics above are a case in point, although they were actually £4/metre. And the Beatles fabric, I will be keeping for myself rather than using in a charity quilt (probably). 

The designer prints at the front, I'm not sure what I'll do with, but the birdhouses will make a good border, for sure.


These ones were all £3/metre, and will suit a variety of scrap quilts, either in the border or as larger, plainer blocks along with scrappy blocks - the ones below were also £3/metre (though I bought 2 metres each of them as they seemed very useful). 



These ones were a little more - £5 or £6/metre, but I have them in mind for baby quilt fabrics in future, and the white on white is just something I use a lot of (and even at £6/metre these are probably not much more than half price). 


This peacock feather fabric was £3/metre, so I bought 5 metres for backing - I did get one quilt on my list backed, at least!  That is, if the fabric is suitable for the quilt I have in mind...


And finally, a couple of real bargains - pretty sure these were both £2/metre - I know the Hawaiian one was- the ice cream might have been £3 - either way - excellent for bordering those scrappy pieces!

5 comments:

Vicki W said...

What a great haul!

Lynne said...

Wow! That's a fabulous and varied collection. Stripes make lovely binding (IMHO). The Beatles fabric is fun.

Lyndsey said...

A great hail of fabrics. they should be fun to use.

Sarah said...

I too went to the Maltings for our yearly binge shopping! Good fun! And you got some nice fabrics (you're better at searching out a bargain than I am though!!)

Sew Create It - Jane said...

What great fabrics! I've used the ice cream one before now and it's a good one that goes with any colour!