Saturday, April 27, 2013

Scrappy Rail Fence Variation


I've enjoyed reading Tazzie's blog for some time and lately, have really been finding a lot of scrap quilting inspiration there. It was there where I found the little scrappy stars idea (though it's originally a Bonnie Hunter idea, as are so many great scrap quilts) and now, I've been sucked in by her lovely rail fence blocks she's been swapping. Hers co-ordinate with one another very well, as there was obviously discussion and agreement about the type of fabrics to use, but I reckon it will make a very nice set of totally scrappy blocks, too. Here are the first three I've made - at the moment, I'm aiming for 30, which should make a nice size quilt, not too big. We'll see when I'm done, I might do more or I might do some in a different colourway (or to be more precise, in an actual colourway rather than just in "what scraps do I have the right size". The only consistency in these blocks is that all the centres are the same, and I'm trying not to put any two fabrics next to one another which are too similar in colour or pattern - but it's a very simple control, basically just something like not putting two navy blues next to one another. Otherwise, it's whatever's at the top of the stack of strips!

3 comments:

Needled Mom said...

That is a great use of the stips. It will make a great finish.

I also love the ATCs. The "and" is perfect for the third. Wonderful job on them.

Lynne said...

Looking good!

Julierose said...

I just really love this rail fence variation--Yikes another one to add to my "have-to-make" list Julierose