Monday, September 03, 2007

Little bits and pieces




So, believe it or not, I actually got some creative stuff done yesterday on the journey home from Ireland. Cathi had a set of these knitting rings, a bit like big knitting dollies and gave us the larger two (there are two small ones as well) - Sarah started a hat for herself and Cathi started a scarf for me, which I have subsequently finished - did all the length of it in the car yesterday while Geoff was driving (I usually do most of the driving as he doesn't really like it, and I am a bad passenger, but I was so tired and my ankle and knee ached, that I had to swap) and tonight put some tassley bits on the ends. It's quite a loose weave, so it will be a good intermediate scarf. And great yarn - it was called Monet, and you can tell why. Sarah's hat is nearly done, just needs to be cast off, which I will help her with tomorrow.



Here are some more bits and pieces which arrived while I was gone - the moulds I actually had to go and collect, as they had to be signed for, but if I'd been home, they would have come Saturday - really quick service from Argentice. And hoorah, new faces to make! The bits on the right are experiments with sheer fabrics - a technique swap for my surface embellishment group. Lots of fun pieces. Which I might use for something someday... or not.



Then today's post brought me these little chaps, which look very decorative in their bundles, but don't really show, so I have taken them apart and spread them out to photograph. When I have a few more, I will have to work out how to display them. They are all great, but of course being me I particularly like the brown row...

And finally, amidst the laundry, errands (post office, school (to put away uniform in the uniform shop in prep for wednesday), haircut (olivia), playdate (sarah), dentist (all three)), and general getting-the-house-back-in-order-after-holidays I actually did manage a little work. I made up three more cards with faces on, and did a prototype of a stripes card - it will also have some stitching on it, not sure just what yet. And will be edged with variegated thread, which produces a striped effect. I also worked a little on the sunset cards, the prototype of which I made before going to Ireland. Perhaps more tomorrow on those, though we have another busy day, of course.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

That ring for making scarves like a large knitting dolly is such a clever idea - I've never seen anything like it where can you buy them from?

YankeeQuilter said...

When I was a teenager my aunt gave me one of those rings and I made dozens of scarves...about the only way I have ever been able to "knit." I had a great time visiting your blog!

Anonymous said...

Loved reading about your holiday. Um, in the chaos that is my life I've misplaced your address, can you email me again with it please, I've got the African fabrics sitting on the table ready to send to you.

Thanks.
Ruth

Shelina said...

Kate, I received your postcard this weekend. Thank you so much. It is really beautiful - I love the background fabric, the yoyo's the beading and the quilting - everthing!

Julie said...

Welcome back Kate! Thank you for the link to Argentice, I hadn't come across them before. The charms are beautiful and I like your sheer experiments. Glad someone else buys stuff to use one day....or maybe not.

sewkalico said...

Lovely scarf, beautiful yummy colours - love the idea of a knitting ring, but will try and resist wanting one LOL

Glad to have you back!

Sue Wild said...

I like the cards with the faces on, do they take long to do? I also like the inchies that you've received - I've seen an article about these in Quilting Arts and may have a go sometime.

Pleased to read that you've had a good holiday and reading that the kids have gone back to school. Mine are now way passed that, even my Alex's uni days finished over a year ago, which I find hard to believe.

Sue