Saturday, September 22, 2007

Jumble and so on



What's this odd assortment of pictures, you may wonder... Well, at left is the landscape piece - the sky is now done, and I decided that the light green hill was also finished, only I added some flowers to it, courtesy of one of my recent squishies - the flowers were attached to a bit of rick rack, but I have carefully removed them and turned the light green hill into a wildflower meadow. I have begun beading the sea tonight watching a film, but no photo to show until it's done - shouldn't be long as I've done about 2/3 already. It's a small area.

Otherwise today, I spent the day running around - went to a couple of jumble sales/table top sales - picked up the ribbon, thread and buttons for almost nothing and this peacock bag was only £1, so I couldn't resist - it has a peacock design on both sides, though it's not beaded - it's done with plastic half beads, glued on. Not sure what I will do with it, other than hang it in my sewing room,but it does have drawstring sides, so it might work for small hand projects or something. For £1, who cares...



And at the jumble sale I got these bits - there is an entire carrier bag full of old handkerchiefs which I got for 30p (later I will wash them, and separate the lace and other interesting bits out to keep) and three books - one an old book of maps of the British Isles from the 40s - the guy on the book stall was quite keen in a geeky way about the book (which is falling apart as well as out of date) so I didn't have the heart to tell him that I plan to take it apart and use the maps in art projects. The other two things are a visitor record book and an album kind of thing, both of which I though would make nice altered books. Someday.

3 comments:

Julie said...

Great day's shopping Kate. What a great idea to have a flower meadow. I'm looking forward to seeing the jewelled sea.

Unknown said...

I smiled about you not daring to tell the guy you'd cut up the map book - I often find myself explaining to charity shop volunteers when I buy things in an odd assortment of sizes that I will cut them up for patchwork - I tell them I'm recycling

Alice I. said...

Doesn't it give you a great sense of thriftiness when you pick up stuff for a few cents? I walk away with my goodies just beaming from ear to ear. Looks like you found some real treasures. I, too, am looking forward to seeing your beadwork on the sea. I bet it will be fabulous! Thanks for sharing.