Friday, May 11, 2007

Gotta love a bargain bin


Today's post brought me this lovely postcard from Jo - it's the final card in the Sky swap, and it's great - the photo is the view from her son's front porch (in Oregon) apparently - great view, isn't it!

I also had to run some errands today - one of which was to buy some more thread - running out of lots of colours, probably due to postcard edging (all that satin stitch) - while I was in the haberdashery/craft department of my local department store, I noticed some stuff in the sale bin - the metal letters, which I've been eyeing for a while, were a lot more appealing at £7.99 than £14.99, like wise the paper & metal tags. And the small stamps were in the £1 bin. The blue stamp is for some summer themed postcards which I know I have coming up before too long. Not sure precisely what I will do with it, but I haven't done many stamped cards, so it seemed kind of appealing...

As there was no nursery today, Alex and I stayed home this morning - we had his friend Nancy (also in nursery, lives across the road) come over to play and watch a video, which was great, as I could go upstairs and do some work - and he'd rather play with another four year old than Mummy, though of course if no other kids are available, Mummy will do. So I was a good girl and worked on the customer quilt - it's beginning to look like a quilt. I have now finished all the nine-patch blocks and have begun assembling the rows - still lots more to do, but it's getting there.


Later this afternoon, after Alex and I ran some errands and had lunch out in one of my favourite local coffee/sandwich shops, I came home and decided to work on a couple of postcards for the May Challenge on Arts in the Mail - the challenge was "mixed media" - and these cards are certainly mixed. Fabric background (a piece from my experiment with roller painting - or should I say, roller dyeing), with bits of metallic and plasticised paper sewed down, some metal boullon/springy stuff couched down, a couple of the tags pictured above, some plastic stars (held down with glue dots), the whole thing covered with plastic netting. I have a lot of plastic netting - I save it when I get it on fruit or little bundles of cheeses or whatever. I keep thinking I'll "do something" with it, and it doesn't take up much space. And now, I can be proud of myself - I have actually "done something" with it. Of course, I now have to start saving dryer lint as my friend Alice says she's used it on postcards in the past...


No comments: