Sunday, May 13, 2007

Fanny's Fans


Not a huge amount of time today for doing any work, as we had friends coming to a late lunch, but as it was pouring rain and the kids wanted to veg in front of the telly, off I went to the sewing room. I started out quilting the turtle cards, but decided I wasn't in the mood (though I think this is what I'll do to them - a silver metallic thread all around the turtle shapes - then I will write words from Yertl the Turtle around the turtles and edge them in variegated thread of some sort).

So I decided to work on a block for the birthday block swap on about which I am hostessing. I am in two groups, which means two blocks to make each month, though as the first block in each group is for June, I am a bit ahead with this one. This block is called Fanny's Fans and is a 10 inch finished block. It's for Robin, who wanted traditional blocks in red & green to make a Christmas quilt, nothing too wonky. This is the kind of block I really like doing for this sort of swap - because of all the Y-seams in it (there are 12) I wouldn't want to make too many of them, but to make just one for a swap, no problem. As it happens, I actually made two of these, as the first one was a bit small, so I sewed the second with scant seams, and hey presto. But that's ok, the first will become a Christmassy cushion cover - ta da - a Christmas present all ready to go, and it's only May...

1 comment:

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

You are a very generous swapper to include some y seams in your block. Great fans!