Monday, January 22, 2007

Take a stitch Tuesday - er, Sunday





The second stitch in this weekly challenge from Sharon B was the buttonhole (blanket) stitch. I have put these two photos at the top of the blog entry, because they are a lot nicer to look at than my experimental sampler (below), wherein I learned several things: 1)my canvas is too big (i.e. holes too far apart) for very very thin thread and 2) it's virtually impossible to work this stitch in a circle on this size canvas. However, I think it would do a great circle on different fabric, so I will try that at some stage. These two pages from my fabric book show the buttonhole stitch in situ - in the left picture, along the top edge of the top ribbon and the right edge of the sheer fabric; in the right photo, down the right hand side of the orange triangle (not thrilled with that; might remove later). I have also added some freeish form herringbone on the page with the pharoah.



I've been having fun playing with the third stitch, detached chain (lazy daisy) but am not ready to share that one yet - I want to try out something I say on someone else's blog (and I apologise here, but I can't remember whose - if I work it out later, I'll come back and add the link - edited to say, I found it, it was Karin) where they layered tons of these on top of each other and made a gorgeous flower. That's tonight's in-front-of-the-telly project. Results tomorrow, whether or not I like them!

No comments: