Sunday, January 14, 2007

Foiled again

One of the things that my surface embellishment group is doing this year is a series of technique swaps to explore different media and techniques. This month, the swap is using foils - you can make your samples any way you like (or ways) so long as you use foils - you then get a variety of different techniques back from the others. It's just a fun way to see what can be done with the material, perhaps in ways you never thought of.

As I've worked with foil a little before, using double sided tape and glue, I thought I'd try using bondaweb (wonderunder - fusible interfacing), which I'd read you can do. What you do is to cut shapes out of the bondaweb, then iron the bondaweb to the fabric, then place the foil on top and iron that.
So I thought I'd simply fold the bondaweb up in various ways (with the paper still on, of course) and cut designs out - a bit like making simple snowflakes.

This worked really well - the hardest part was keeping the bondaweb from getting all tangled up when unfolding it after cutting, but with a little care, it's not that bad. And you can get some very intricate designs, if you are willing to take the time to cut them. I am very pleased with the results and see a series of Christmas/winter cards with snowflakes on them, next year!

No comments: