Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Nesting Row Robin, rows 3 & 4

Well, I've been putting off doing this one, because I wasn't really sure what to do with the instructions - which were "If your doing round robin style: with a applique in corners with strips, or curved strips or chercker board or piano keys or more applique between them. This should allow some creative freedom and something different thrown in. Stretch the imagination, Ladies... Row style: applique your block with curves, checker boards, or piano keys, strip to the outside of block."

In the end, I decided to change the instructions slightly, because I had just done a row of appliqued curves with the orange, and I didn't really want another one. So I did a central block in applique with Olivia's name (it has one curve!) and piano keys to the outside. It's not attached yet, because it's what I was working on when the sewing machine died, and although I now have the loan of another sewing machine, I left my yellow thread on my machine when I took it to the shop, so I don't have any yellow thread to finish the "VIA" in Olivia... and it will be easier to do with it not attached. But that's not a big deal, I can easily finish it off when I get the yellow back. Can't imagine needing any more yellow thread, so I'm not going to buy a replacement and anyway, then it might not match, yadda yadda yadda.



So then I went straight away to the next row, which instruction was only posted a day or two ago - and it was to do crazy piecing. Luckily, the row I was due to do was green, and I have tons of green fabric - in fact, I didn't even have to use anything except my scrap bin and strip bin, in the end. The picture is slightly washed out in colour - the greens are a bit brighter in person. It's a fun row and was very quick to do - that's the joy of imprecise piecing!

1 comment:

Joyce said...

I absolutely love your quilt. There is nothing that will perk up colors like black in the background. I also like the letters. Great job!