Thursday, November 23, 2006

Quilter's dilemma

Can you identify this photo? Probably not, but don't worry, I'll tell you what it is. It's the back of a postcard - more specifically, it's the back of a postcard with a triangle from my corn and beans blocks quilted to it. This is what happens when you aren't very careful about clearning your workspace of one project before working on something else. If one of (for instance) your light coloured triangles happens to stick to the back of the postcard you are quilting, what might happen, would be that you quilted it all together... So now, the dilemma (which, to a lazy quilter like me isn't much of a dilemma at all) is whether to unpick the quilting to free the poor triangle (NOT) or whether to look for another neutral not too different from this one to take the place of this triangle in the corn and beans block. I'll leave you to guess which option I choose!




Here's a photo of the front of the postcard - that's what I worked on today, the next set of postcards for swapping - this one is a larger set, because I am combining three different swaps on different groups - one on my postcard group, one on my dyeing group and one on an art quilt forum (I think I'm making 35 total, so I wanted something effective, but simple). The theme is Winter Solstice, and this is a Native American Solstice Symbol. The centre of the symbol is stamped using a stamp cut from a potato, in various different colours of archival ink (the heat set kind), on different colours of hand-dyed fabric backgrounds. The outer star of the symbol is quilted on - so far, although I have done all the stamping, I have only quilted one, so I haven't decided yet which thread colour works best. I wanted something subtle, but I think this pastel variegated thread may be TOO subtle. I might use it to finish the edges of the card, though.



Here are some pics of the work in progress - on my dining room table, the various stamping and cutting materials, and the potato stamp itself. I really like potato stamps - the disadvantage is that you can't really save them, but the nice thing is that if you mess up the cutting part, it doesn't really matter. Maybe someday I'll progress to cutting my own stamps from rubber, etc, but I think I'd be too nervous and make lots of mistakes. With a stamp like this, which I would probably never use again, I think a potato is just fine...

No comments: