Thursday, September 14, 2006

There's always one...


Did a bit of sewing this afternoon after Alex got home from nursery - he was a bit tired and watched Dora for a while, so I had a little bit of time, and the choice of doing the hoovering or sewing. Gosh, hard choice! Anyway, managed to get the sashing done between the neutral blocks - the photo is a bit off as the sashing is a dark brown fossil fern and in the photo, basically just looks black. But you get the idea. However, I've decided I won't ever sash blocks from a block swap with really narrow sashing (this is 1" finished) again, because there's just not space to deal with those blocks you always seem to get in block swaps, which are either too big (in this case) or too small and which you can't really change without taking the whole thing apart and so you end up having to cut off the points because there's no seam allowance, either. How a block can be half an inch too big and STILL have no seam allowance outside the triangles, I don't know. But this is one of the things you have to be prepared to deal with when block swapping, and for me the fun of swapping outweighs the errors you get in blocks sometimes - at least in this swap none of them were unusable, which I've had before. If I wanted all my blocks perfect, I'd...pay someone to make them for me! Now I just need to get the seashell border on - I've got a thousand errands to run tomorrow, but hopefully I'll get it done Saturday.

No comments: