Sunday, September 24, 2006

Not a total loss...


Friday's sewing time, that is. I got to work on this piece - it's not mine, it's a log cabin belonging to a customer of Lana's - the customer has a degenerative illness of some sort and is unable to finish several quilt tops she had started - I think she was just beginning to do patchwork. Anyway, Lana has two tops which needed borders added to them before being quilted, this one, and a square in a square. She offered the work to me, so that's what I did in my little bit of sewing time Friday afternoon - put a mitred border on (it really needed mitre-ing, between the strong diagonal in the log cabin pattern and the striped border fabric). It looks ok - the colour goes well, and the construction of the top was fairly good, so the quilt doesn't look too wavy. The square in square is going to be harder to work with, as there are several places where there is just no seam allowance beyond the points; I'll be forced to chop some of them off when adding the border, though hopefully not too many. I decided not to tackle that one today, but get some of my own stuff done... At least I am getting paid to do these, as adding borders is such a fun thing to do! (Well, I don't really mind it that much, but I don't want my sewing life to consist only of putting borders on quilt after quilt...)

No comments: