Tuesday, September 26, 2006

A day lost, a day found

Well, yesterday afternoon I had intended to do some sewing - some work on the "icy cool" Christmas blocks (my alternative colour scheme) which I had thought I might get done - but as it happened, I broke a needle in a thick seam and spent ages trying to make the machine run again. Thought I'd thrown the timing out, but after a good clean and careful checking, it seemed fine when I stitched manually with the wheel, but the minute I put fabric in, clunk, it wouldn't sew. This reminded me of some trouble Lana and I had with the Fun Quilter at the FoQ, which in the end, turned out to be the da** machine not threaded properly. Hmmm, thinks I. And yes, sure enough, a simple rethreading and hey presto, ready to go. Of course, that was a good half hour wasted by the wayside!



However, I gained the time back today, as I thought I'd spend most of the day finishing the quilting on the brown and blue star quilt I started quilting with the Circle Lord last week, but in fact, it only took a few hours - just meandering with loops and stars and it went really quickly. And now it's done! The binding is on, and halfway sewn down (after this photo was taken) - hopefully one more night in front of the telly will do it. And it will be ready to go to America with us. Hoorah.

So with the time I had this afternoon, I DID work on the blue Christmas blocks (here's one - the rest later when they are done - I am doing nine and I think I've finished 4 or 5 and have most of the others started). Didn't do a lot else - mitred some borders for another customer of Lana's - not too hard, except for the one tail which she didn't leave long enough to mitre & I ended up having to piece from offcuts of the other tails...

No comments: