Friday, February 15, 2013

Leaders & Enders


Here's another set of blocks completed recently, made as leaders & enders*. The centres were from my crumb block box - what I do with small scraps, generally. I trimmed them to a standard size - can't remember what at the moment, perhaps 3.5", and then just went around them once, log cabin style, in various neutral strips. Makes a nice set of scrappy blocks that aren't too out of control.   They aren't made up in to a top yet, just set aside in my block box.  Sooner or later!


*I remember the first time I encountered this term, I had no idea what on earth it was. In case that's you, this refers to a thread saving device employed when you are chain piecing - something to sew last in a chain of pieces, which doesn't have to be removed from the machine, so the thread doesn't have to be cut just then. It's like a placeholder. Then you can start the next stretch of chain piecing from this block, and so on. I usually have some sort of project on the side to serve this purpose - usually something very scrappy...

3 comments:

sewkalico said...

Like these - good idea!

Lyndsey said...

Love your crumb blocks and the neutrals do help keep the block calmer.

Lynne said...

Lovely! Another great idea!