Saturday, January 12, 2013

Scrappy Trip Along


I didn't spend a lot of time sewing today, as Saturday mornings are always taken up with swimming and usually a quick trip to the supermarket or Farmers' Market, and I wanted to help Alex with his puzzle this afternoon, but I got time to make a few blocks - this batik Trip Around the World block, which is the first in a series - all batik, and all different. The challenge here will be making sure there is enough contrast between the rows of the batiks, as many of them can look a little samey in tone, at least. I do have some bright ones, though, so I'll be making good use of them.

A lot of folks in blogland seem to be taking part in the Scrappy Trip Along, making Scrappy Trip Around the World blocks, using Bonnie Hunter's pattern.  I've made this block before, recently for the block lotto, and perhaps even other times before that - it's a nice, simple way to produce TATW blocks - of course you could make them all the same if you like, but that wouldn't get rid of small pieces quite so well as making it scrappy.   I'm going to aim to get a few of these blocks done each month, and then I'll have plenty to do something with at the end of the year - I'll be doing them all batik, as I said, and I reckon it will make a nice dent in my collection of small, not very useful batik pieces. The ones which aren't big enough to cut a 16" strip, I will have to find something else scrappy to do with!

Yes, I know this project wasn't on my list of things to do in 2013.  Maybe I should go back and edit it!

I did also make a few more stretch shoofly blocks - one for the lotto and two for my collection; I'll show them another day.

4 comments:

Sarah Craig said...

Nice block, Kate! I've jumped on this bandwagon, too....

Lynne said...

I am loving watching those blocks turn up all over blogland but haven't been too tempted yet! Do they only work for a square quilt given the finished layout?

Julie said...

Great inspiration Kate! Thank you for the link. I've made a note so that I can come back to this, it's a great way to use up some stash and to get an attractive pattern without getting a headache!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Oh wow...all in batiks is going to be stunning!! Why didn't I think of that!?