Believe it or not, I managed to finish this today - the coloured ammonites were easy enough to get done, but then I needed to fill in between them (in black) and this of course took much longer. Remarkably, I only managed to miss out one little bit, which I filled in later, and only backed myself into a corner once - these are among the hazards of free motion quilting, of course. I am very pleased with how it came out, and think it will really suit Sharon - even managed to get the binding on today -- the photo shows it with binding attached but not sewn down, but I managed to sew the whole thing down tonight while watching telly - of course, as I usually use that time to read email & blogs, I'm way behind on that, but this was certainly higher priority, as it means I can give the quilt to Sharon before her first chemo.
Two photos below of quilting detail - no idea why blogger turned them sideways, but as it doesn't really matter, I've left them as they are. The fill-in quilting was fairly random, using some similar shapes to the coloured quilting and otherwise, just loose rectangly shapes. I think it works well.