Sunday, April 21, 2013

Not sewing but mending...


In a day full of household tasks, the only sewing on the horizon was to make my way through the mending basket.  This is a sample of the more interesting items in the basket - the several pairs of leggins needing fixing along the seam were easy to fix, but uninteresting.  But there was a bear to mend (this was a glue job actually, as it happened - his "belt buckle" had come off and as it had been glued originally, there was no way I was getting a needle through it...), a bag to fix the strap channel of, a jumper to fix a seam in and a cat tail to make (for a  school assembly - as it happens, there are ears to make as well, but they are going to involve a cheap plastic Alice band from the pound shop and some black & pink card, so again, more glueing than sewing). The final item in the photo is a skirt which I like the pattern and the fit of, but which I hate to wear because it has all these beads at the top and something about the way it's made makes it uncomfortable. I'm in the process of simply removing the beads, which will hopefully make the skirt work - partly the issue is that it itches, but also, the extra weight of the beads pulls at the waist front (the beads are only on the front) in an odd way. Surprisingly, for a fairly cheap garment, the beads are actually very well attached, so it's slow going - I do a little at a time - story of my life - if I wanted them to stay on the skirt, they'd be falling off all the time, I reckon...

5 comments:

Lyndsey said...

Good luck with the mending, not my favourite job. Mind it is very satisfying when it's done.

Marei said...

OH! Mending! I'm sorry to say that I'd rather make something from scratch than to sew on a button or repair a seam. Not very "recycle minded" I know but what can I say? I'm not a fan of mending.

Unknown said...

Good luck with the mending!!

Lynne said...

I no longer keep a mending basket and I don't miss it at all! But there is a bear around here somewhere who needs some stitching to keep his head on! ;-)

McIrish Annie said...

Hate mending or hemming of any kind. That stuff will sit and sit. but alas, a necessary part of life. Needs to get done so we can go back to creating.