Thursday, February 14, 2008

Journal Quilt Week 13, plus some bits



Had a quilty kind of day today - went out this morning to quilting group at Brenda's house, where I actually didn't do any quilting (nothing ready to take, having finished all my binding projects which were ready) but did some work on my cross-stitch - had a nice chat with other quilty ladies, etc. Then came home to find my Valentine's swap parcel (see previous post) and a card for N - N is for Ninepatch (below) from Sandy in Laurel, MD (yes, Mom, if you are reading this, she DOES live fairly near you, but the other side of 95).

I then took a chance to make my 80's postcards (just to reassure anyone else like Karen, who commented yesterday on the potential enormity of that, that these are 1980's postcards - I am not making 80 postcards!) - whcih are also pictured below - presumably everyone will recognise that iconic 80's object, which I decided not to do in primary colours for some reason.

I also finished edging and backing my two cards for the February challenge on Arts in the Mail (use only one piece of plain fabric and one thread to make a card). The thread is actually a variegated neutral, but it's very subtle - the variation doesn't show much, just adds a little texture.

And finally, I did my journal quilt for this week, with perhaps a predictable theme. I started with string pieced reds, pinks & purples and then just embellished at will. Although most of the Valentine's stuff I made was done in advance, due to the nature of swapping, I thought it appropriate to have a Valentine's theme today, hence "Love is in the Air". Some of the images in it were even from the free vintage images (from Vintage Image Madness) which came with my Valentine's swap, and the red foil is from my Valentine's swap chocolate hearts. Unfortunately, the first few hearts I opened, I didn't manage to get the foil off without ripping it, so I had to keep eating the chocolates... The sacrifices we make for our art!

4 comments:

Vicki W said...

Your journal quilt is perfect for the week. I'm still really loving those tree cards though!

Myra said...

Rubik's cube! How clever. Those things used to drive me nutz!

artisbliss said...

I really love the tree cards. And your journal page is well done, too.

Julie said...

Well done you for persevering with the chocolate! Well, someone's got to do it!