Friday, October 06, 2006

The mysteries of hand quilting


Probably not something I'll ever understand. But I have finished all the quilting I am going to do on my mother's b/w & red "ostrich" quilt, including some trapunto (very basic), which was one of the instructions for the final month. I was going to ostrich in October (i.e. stick my head in the sand and ignore the instruction) but actually, the piece decided it had too much empty space to it, which wanted something quilted in it, so it was simple enough to stuff some circles of batting underneath in various places and quilt round them - I did four. The photo I took of the whole quilt doesn't show any of the quilting (well, black thread on a black background, from a distance, what did I expect?) and the closeup is blurry because I couldn't get the camera to focus, but I think you get the idea. Tomorrow, binding & sleeve on, tomorrow night, sew them down, and hey presto, it's finished. Then I just have to tackle last year's Ostrich!

No comments: