Sunday, June 05, 2011

Scrap basket busting


Look at my somewhat empty scrapbasket!


At the start of today's sewing, it was getting fairly full, so I decided it was time to tackle it. I knew I could make serious dents without actually making anything with the scraps, so I started by tipping it out


(this is actually only about 2/3 of it - I forgot to take a photo before this point!) and sorting it out...


How did I mange to reduce the amount so much? Well, I removed a pile of pieces that were actually already pieced - these are now sitting next to my sewing machine to be sewn together and cut into 4.5" blocks next time I have some sewing time.


I took all the strips out and put them in the strip basket:


I took the larger scraps (there were many - everything below the white was already in this basket) and put them in the larger scrap basket:


I took the medium sized scraps and put them into the little colour coded drawers (the Winnie the Pooh ones) I showed the other day. There were quite a few of this size scrap...


And yes, some went into the bin. Only quite little ones, though...



And finally, there's the breakfast cereal box effect ("contents settle during shipping") - by taking them out and putting them into pile and laying them neatly in the basket, they take up a lot less space than when they are thrown randomly in during actual sewing...

3 comments:

Lynne said...

I love your system - time consuming but fun (and necessary).

Frog Quilter said...

So you just shifted them around... I do that too. Makes it easy when you have a idea.....Just go to the right pile. lol.

Quilter Kathy said...

Can you come over to my house and organize me?!?!